New Jersey Catholic Order School Settles In Lawsuit After Priest Admits To Sex Abuse Of 50 Boys

Bill Crane, center, holds a 1989 issue of Delbarton Today, which featured their father who was the Dean of Faculty and Assistant Head Master at the school. Bill and twin brother Tom Crane, left, allege they were sexually abuse by two Delbarton monks in the 1970s, Standing in front of the Morristown Courthouse with their attorney, Greg Gianforcaro, right, the men announced the filing of a lawsuit against St. Mary’s Abbey, which runs Delbarton. The Rev. Justin Capato and Rev. Luke Travers are named in the suit.

North Jersey

“The Catholic order that runs the Delbarton School in Morris Township has settled lawsuits brought by five men who alleged they were sexually abused by five monks — including a former headmaster of the school.

Six additional lawsuits are pending against the Order of St. Benedict of New Jersey and St. Mary’s Abbey, which runs the school — three filed on Tuesday. Details of the settlements, made over the past couple of months, were not disclosed.

Meanwhile, a priest at the center of eight of the lawsuits allegedly admitted to having sexual encounters with about 50 boys, according to documents filed with the lawsuits in Superior Court in Morristown.

That priest, Timothy Brennan, is accused in three of the settled cases and five pending complaints. He was convicted 30 years ago of aggravated sexual contact with a 15-year-old Delbarton student.

The abuse outlined in the suits allegedly took place while most of the victims were students at Delbarton or St. Elizabeth of Hungary in Linden, which was managed by the order in an agreement with the Newark Archdiocese, according to an order spokesman.

The 11 lawsuits include accusations made by 10 men and one woman who said she was abused by Brennan while she was a student at St. Elizabeth’s. Eight clerics who belonged to the order were accused of sexual assault or sexual abuse that allegedly took place from 1968 through 1984.

Allegations in six of the 11 lawsuits were related to St. Elizabeth’s. The Archdiocese of Newark was also named as a defendant in those cases. Spokesman Jim Goodness declined to comment on Thursday.

One of the accused is Luke Travers, a priest who was Delbarton’s headmaster more than a decade ago. He was the subject of allegations filed in a civil complaint filed five years ago, accusations stemming from the late 1970s, long before he was headmaster.

Rev. Luke Travers, soon to be to the new headmaster at Delbarton School in New Jersey, is seen outside Longfellow Hall at Harvard Unversity in Cambridge, Mass., Thursday, April 8, 1999.

The complaint was filed by twin brothers who lived on the grounds of the Delbarton School, where their father was a teacher. They announced the lawsuit on the lawn of the Morristown courthouse.

One of the brothers, Tom Crane, said at the time that he had been sexually abused by Travers and another priest, the Rev. Justin Capato. Bill Crane Jr., said he was abused by Capato.

Their complaints were later separated into two lawsuits and were settled on March 20, according to documents signed by Superior Court Judge David H. Ironson.

Travers, who is no longer a member of the order, continues to deny the allegations, said his attorney, Gerald Hanlon.

Capato was named in another suit, one of three complaints settled in May. The priest has denied the allegations, according to court documents. His attorney did not respond to a message left at his office Thursday.

While living at Delbarton, the Crane brothers attended school at St. Joseph’s in Mendham where they said they were abused by another priest — parish pastor James Hanley, who was defrocked after admitting he molested at least a dozen children.

Hanley has said Bill Crane Jr. was his last victim.

Tom Crane, who lives outside of Seattle, said in a telephone interview Thursday night that he went through “a nightmare of intimidation” after the complaint against St. Mary’s was filed. He alleged that friends from Delbarton who spoke in support of the Cranes were told by a school attorney not to talk about the case.

“They told these guys to keep their mouths shut,” he said, adding that the settlement was “a big victory.”

Greg Gianforcaro,  the attorney for all 11 plaintiffs in the St. Mary’s Abbey cases, acknowledged the settlements and said his clients “showed amazing courage for coming forward.”

He declined to specify the amount of the settlements or discuss the pending cases. He had represented many of Hanley’s victims in a lawsuit that the Paterson Diocese settled in 2005 for $5 million.

St. Mary’s Abbey and the Delbarton School also acknowledged the settlements and issued a statement late Thursday afternoon saying its officials are “committed to continue ensuring a safe, healthy, and respectful learning environment. We look forward to a resolution of these issues but are unable to comment on active litigation.”

Brennan, who was sentenced to one year of probation in 1987, was a central figure in the lawsuits, and court records revealed that he once allegedly acknowledged having so many sexual encounters with boys that he was unsure of the number.

“He says that he has had sexual experiences with approximately 50 male minors,” a clinical psychologist wrote in a letter following an evaluation of the priest at Saint Luke Institute, a Catholic mental health facility in Maryland. “Father Brennan is uncertain if this number is accurate.”

The letter, sent in 1995 to an official with the Trenton Diocese, where Brennan had been working after his conviction, went on to say the priest told evaluators that his encounters were with boys around the age of 13.

(L-R) Tom Crane and Bill Crane, twin brothers who allege they were sexually abuse by two Delbarton monks in the 1970s, standing in front of the Morristown Courthouse to announce the filing of a lawsuit against St. Mary’s Abbey, which runs Delbarton. The Rev. Justin Capato and Rev. Luke Travers are named in the suit.

Brennan had been hearing confessions of children, according the letter. The psychologist recommended that “Father Brennan have no ministry with minors” and “hear no confessions of minors.”

According to the letter, Brennan said he was molested by a priest when he was 15 years old and began acting out sexually in the early to mid 1970s. The letter also said Brennan had worked for a time at an unnamed hospital in the Trenton Diocese. The diocese did not immediately respond to a request for information about Brennan and his time there.

St. Abbey’s officials had acknowledged years ago that Brennan had been working at a parish in Lakewood where he cared for the elderly at a nursing home and a hospital.

Brennan, who has been living at a treatment center for priests in Missouri for the past 15 years, did not reply to a message seeking comment.

He became a Benedictine priest in 1961 and had been a teacher and guidance counselor at Delbarton before he was removed from the school after being accused of sexual abuse in 1986. It was unclear from the court papers why he was sent to Saint Luke in 1995.”

Benedictines in NJ settle sexual abuse lawsuits over school
Delbarton School in New Jersey

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s