Diocese of Rockville Centre extends deadline to file clergy sexual abuse claims

Alleged victims like Thomas McGarvey, right, who grew up in Franklin Square, will have more time to submit claims of clergy sexual abuse to the Diocese of Rockville Centre. McGarvey alleged that a priest sexually abused him at St. Catherine of Sienna Church over eight years at a news conference outside the Diocese of Rockville Centre’s headquarters in October. Boston attorney Mitchell Garabedian, left, who has handled hundreds of sexual abuse cases, is representing him.
Alleged victims like Thomas McGarvey, right, who grew up in Franklin Square, will have more time to submit claims of clergy sexual abuse to the Diocese of Rockville Centre. McGarvey alleged that a priest sexually abused him at St. Catherine of Sienna Church over eight years at a news conference outside the Diocese of Rockville Centre’s headquarters in October. Boston attorney Mitchell Garabedian, left, who has handled hundreds of sexual abuse cases, is representing him.

LI Herald

“The Diocese of Rockville Centre extended its deadline for those wishing to enter into its Independent Reconciliation and Compensation Program, which was set up in October to compensate survivors of sexual abuse by members of the clergy.

Victims who had previously notified the diocese that they had suffered abuse by a member of the clergy were invited to participate in Phase One of the program, and were required to submit paperwork by Dec. 31. The new deadline is Jan. 31.

Program administrators Kenneth R. Feinberg and Camille Biros recommended extending the deadline, and the diocese agreed to the extension, according to a diocese news release. “Phase I has been working very well,” said Sean Dolan, the diocese’s director of communications, “and we want to ensure that we give people every opportunity to come forward and participate.”

The fund was set up in an effort to repair some of the harm caused by such cases, which have plagued the Catholic church in recent years, and was modeled after those created in the Archdiocese of New York and the Diocese of Brooklyn over the past year to help victims gain some form of closure.

“We are heartened to see survivors come forward, and we hope others will avail themselves of the program,” said Bishop John Barres. “As a Church, we recognize that no amount of monetary compensation could ever erase or undo the grave harm suffered by survivors of child abuse. Still, we embrace Christ’s healing power and the Mission of Mercy of the Catholic Church. We stand in solidarity with our survivors and their families and we continue our commitment and vigilance to the protection of children in our Church and in society.”

The diocese did not comment on how many claims have been submitted.”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s